Monmouth Park Racetrack has rescheduled its live racing program from Friday, July 22 to Monday, July 25 due to Friday’s expected excessive heat and extreme humidity.
“Our main concern is for the safety of our horses and jockeys,” said Robert Kulina, vice president and general manager of Monmouth Park. “With temperatures expected to reach 100 degrees combined with high humidity, we had no choice but to reschedule the program to Monday.”
Friday’s card will not be redrawn – all races will simply be moved to Monday.
Live racing is scheduled to resume at Monmouth Park on Saturday, July 23, with a 12-race card. The facility will remain open on Friday for simulcasting from across the country, including the opening day card from Saratoga. First race post time for the Spa is 1 pm.
I would not be surprised if we have another cancellation/postponement today (Saturday)! Parx, Delaware and Suffolk have already canceled, and Monmouth is expected to again hit 100. I would probably postpone today's card to Tuesday or Wednesday due to the heat.
I agree with Nancy. This should be a no-brainer. I've been coming to Monmouth for over 40 years and when it is this hot the horses are dragging, the jocks are dragging and one can't even think straight when it comes to handicapping. Smart move Bob!Mike Romagnola
Kudos to Robert Kulina for putting the health and safety of the horses and jockeys ahead of monetary concerns. This was not an easy decision to make in this economic climate, but it was the right decision for all concerned. Let's hope otherracetracks in areas facing the extreme heat follow the example of Monmouth Park.