Barn Notes

Triple E Makes 3rd Start of the Year in Saturday Feature

Posted Thursday, Jul 11, 2013

  • Bookmark and Share

 

 

Saturday’s featured event at Monmouth Park, a $42,000 allowance/optional claimer has come up a wide open race as a field of 10 have entered to travel 5 ½ furlongs over the turf course.  But trainer Tim Hills believes his entrant Triple E is rounding nicely into form for this third outing of 2013.

            “He’s a hard trying 8-year-old,” said Hills from his headquarters on the Monmouth Park backstretch.  “He’s not a very good work horse, so it’s taken him a little time to get back this year.  He is a 5/8ths specialist and the extra half-furlong should be no problem.  I think everything is coming together for him.”

            With 38 lifetime outings, Triple E is among the most experienced runners in the field on Saturday.  The two-time winner over the Monmouth Park turf gets the services of Pedro Cotto Jr., currently fifth in the jockey standings.

            “He’ll sit a stalking trip, that’s his style,” Hills said.  “It’s a tough race, but he’s coming into it really well.”

            A gelding by Storm Boot out of the stakes placed mare Tres Norte, Triple E has won seven of his 38 lifetime starts.  On turf he sports a record of 4-3-1 from 17 outings.   

Last year, Triple E just missed in the John McSorley Stakes, finishing a half-length behind Varsity.  In his last 2012 outing, he was sixth in the My Frenchman Stakes to Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint winner Chamberlain Bridge.

            In his two 2013 starts, he was last on June 1 in a claiming event, his first start of the year and then sixth in a similar event as Saturday’s on June 28, beaten less than three lengths for it all.

            On Saturday, Triple E will break from post seven in the feature, which goes as race eight on a 10-race program.

 


Comments 0
Leave a Comment

Add Comment

Text Only 2000 character limit
add comment